Thursday, November 3, 2011

Shrimp & Crab Stuffed Peppers

Stuffed Pepper served on a bed of crispy potato straws

I promise you, the seafood lovers you invite over will rave about this! I prepared these Shrimp and Crab Stuffed Peppers for my Halloween Dinner Party and it sure didn't disappoint anyone! You don't NEED to do this over two days, however; I found it easier on time to have most of it prepared ahead of time.

Preparation:
Shrimp
I prepared the shrimp a day ahead of time, but you can do it the same day if you prefer. My "no fail" boiled shrimp is by far the tastiest I've ever made. In a large pot of water, add Old Bay Seasoning and 1 bay leaf. Bring this to a boil. Add the shrimp, and let it cook for exactly 3 minutes. Immediately drain and run cold water over it. I also have a small container of ice that I put it on. If cooked shrimp is left standing, it continues to cook! Slice the shrimp into chunks and put in a bowl. 

Crab
Living in the high deserts, I purchased lump crab meat. I do not like the canned crab meat at all. While the lump crab is a bit more expensive, taste-wise, it's SO worth it! Rinse this well. And I mean well. If you think you've rinsed it long enough, do it again for a little while longer. Pat it dry, and add it to the shrimp. I sprinkled just a hint of Old Bay over it, covered the bowl and put it in the refrigerator overnight.

The next morning, I got out the rest of the ingredients to complete the recipe:

Preparation:

Peppers:
Cut the tops off the peppers, rinse and remove seeds. Blanch them in boiling water for about 10 minutes. Set aside.

Ingredients for Stuffing: 

  • 2 Shallots, chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, chopped
  • 2 T Olive oil
  • 2 Celery Stalks, chopped
  • 2 tsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
  • 1/2 cup white wine (I use Martini & Rossi Dry Vermouth)
  • 1 Cup bread crumbs - divided
  • Salt & Pepper to taste (if desired)
  • 1 cup cooked wild rice (according to directions)
Topping:
  • 2 T. Butter
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375. Place the peppers in a glass baking dish in about an inch of water. 

In a skillet, brown the onion, shallots, and celery in the olive oil. Let it cook until the vegetables are slightly wilted. Add the shrimp and crab and stir in the white wine and tomato paste. Sprinkle with Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper.  Stir in 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, wild rice and transfer to a bowl. Melt the butter in the skillet, adding the remaining bread crumbs. Stir until they are lightly browned and remove from heat.

Fill the peppers with the stuffing, and top with the browned breadcrumbs. Bake for 35-45 minutes. 

Stand back and wait for the avalanche of compliments! Enjoy!

Happy Eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment