Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentine Pretzels

White Chocolate dipped Pretzels coated with toppings

What better way to say I love you than to give your sweetie something sweet, right? And, if you are trying to keep it relatively healthy, dipped pretzels (very low in carbs) are fairly close to "good for you" sweets. Personally, I love the sweet/salty combination. The dipped pretzels save me from having to devour a whole bag of M&M's AND a bag of Lays potato chips. I can kill two desires with one tasty morsel! Seriously, how cool is that???

What you need:

  • One bag of mini pretzels
  • One bag of Wilton White candy melts
  • A cookie sheet covered with wax paper
  • Separate ramekin cups filled with your different toppings
Directions:
  1. Empty the candy melts into a microwave safe bowl.
  2. Microwave on high for 1 minute, remove and stir
  3. Return the candy to the microwave for 30 seconds more 
  4. At your work area, take a pretzel and dip it in the chocolate, coating it and tapping the side of the bowl a little so that the drip doesn't go everywhere. I set these on the cookie sheet for a few seconds then dipped them in the sugar coatings. 
Here's where it gets tricky. At some point, I had to return the candy mix to the microwave for about 30 seconds because it got a little goopy. I'm sure pastry chefs out there have a fancy word for this condition; but to me, it just got goopy and I couldn't work with it. When I re-heated it, stirred it, I got a nice smooth consistency and was ready to dunk a few more pretzels.

Once the finished pretzels have set out for a few minutes, they get hard enough to move to a storage container. This is a pretty critical thing to do, because otherwise, it's just too easy to eat them. And, face it- if you eat them all there goes the good intention of giving them away, right?

While this looks easy, there really is an art to it, and perhaps with time I can master it one day. For a first attempt, I was pleased. They also taste fabulous. I found some cute zippy bags with hearts on them, filled them up for friends, and gave them all some.

Happy Valentines Day, Spread the Love & Happy Eating!










1 comment: